Monday, March 7, 2011

Media Music

I love music. I can't imagine a world without it. However, while I enjoy a lot of music on the radio, it tends to be over played and eventually all the songs begin to sound the same. If I have to hear Rihanna's "Only Girl In The World," one more time I'm going to go crazy! Frustrated with the radio, I decided to turn to the internet for help. I found two social media sites that I am now obsessed with--Hype Machine and SoundCloud.

Hype Machine is a site that searches music blogs. Anytime someone posts a blog promoting a song, that song is then loaded onto Hype Machine. What makes Hype Machine cool is that you can find music that is not on the radio. Some of the songs are produced by mega producers while other songs are independently created. The home page has a list of the songs that have just recently been blogged about.


The hearts by the play button you can click and will be added to your very own play list. There is another tab for the top 50 most popular songs. These are the most liked or "hearted" songs at the moment.

If I grow tired of the music on my playlist I can search for other members of Hype Machine and listen to their playlist. Like Twitter, You can follow other people's accounts or gain followers. Furthermore, you can "like" the songs using the Facebook button. These songs then appear on your Facebook wall and on your friend's news feed.

With so many features on Hype Machine the one thing you can't do is download these songs. That is where SoundCloud comes in. SoundCloud is a site where independent artists can upload their music for download. These artists have not made it big yet so giving their music out for free is a way for them to garner followers and fans rather than worrying about the money aspect.


SoundCloud is a site where artists and music lovers can come together to share music. It is different from other illegal downloading sites because the music on SoundCloud has been put there by the artists in an effort to promote themselves through free music downloads.

Finally there is a way for independent artists to reach the masses and now there is away for us to listen to the music we want to, commercial free rather than what the radio pushes on us.

If you love music, I'd definitely check out these two sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment