Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Details of Web Design

The internet is not a new concept. In recent years everyone all over the globe has most likely had some interaction with the World Wide Web. With this in mind, Web layouts are something we encounter everyday but most of us don't give them a second thought. However, after reading chapters 3,4 and 8 in Information Architecture, the detailed process of web design and especially web page organization have really opened my eyes.

I never realized just how many different ways a person could categorize a singular item such as a scarf.  What is cool about the internet is that unlike in real life, one item can go into a  plethora of categories without ever becoming confusing. This being said, the trick it so make sure things are labeled correctly. If labels are too vague or ambiguous, this can become frustrating for the customer. Furthermore, in this same vein, the actual placement of your labels/categories on your web page play a huge role in the fluidity of your page. I never would have thought that the debate between whether your category links should be on the top (as most web pages usually are) or on the side was that important. However, after reading Information Architecture it seems that something as simple as where to put your links is actually incredibly important and can really make or break the success of your website.

After watching the rollover tutorial I still am impressed at how much Photoshop is capable of. This tutorial was really helpful  but I still think it would be easier to fully grasp if I was able to watch the tutorial while sitting in front of Photoshop and doing it along with the tutorial, however this was the easiest tutorial to follow and understand.


After watching Tim Berners-Lee's presentation on Linked Data, I have to say, I'm incredibly confused. He seemed to assume that we all know what he was referring to and perhaps the audience did. I however, kept getting lost. I vaguly understand the concept, but I don't really understand how to use it, where and when to use it and how it all works. I think a more detailed, and slower description would have been beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment