Friday, May 13, 2011

The Hunt

Graduation is a week away. With graduation so close, for the last few months the questions that I keep getting asked is "so what are your after graduation plans?" This is a great question, and the truth is, I don't know.

My plan has always been to go to Grad school. As a film major, my theory was that going to Grad school would not only provide me the opportunity to gain a wider skill set in regards to film production, but it would also be an excellent chance to network. However, after 4 years at college where I received good grades, did a number of extracurriculars, had a variety of jobs and internships Grad school does not seem to be in my future.  The first semester I spent every free minute I had working on applications but no matter how qualified I was I just didn't get in. So now the next logical step is to get a job and maybe revisit Grad school a few years from now.

Finding a job with a college degree shouldn't be too bad right? Even with the bad economy and unemployment the way it is...Wrong. Maybe for some college graduates finding a job isn't that hard, but if you are an arts major things don't fall into place that well.

Film is my passion. I always knew I wanted to do something in the arts from the time I was a little girl, and by the time I was a junior in high school I knew that I wanted a career in film.

Now that it's time to find a job I've been looking and looking for a job in either film and television production or as a social media marketer. Here is the problem I keep running into: every job that I'm applying to wants me have have at least 3-5 years experience in that particular field. This seems to be a Cath 22. How am I suppose to gain experience if all the jobs, even entry level, require me to have experience?

College is suppose to help us find our dream job. With a college degree comes success, or so we've been told. Now I'm not discounting college, I'm sure it is incredibly valuable and I know on a personal level it has been one of the best times of my life, however, I'm still waiting to reap the benefits from my higher education. Hopefully this little job hunt will prove fruitful soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment