Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Places: The Portland Spirit, Anchors Away!

If you're reading this then you are reading the second installment of my new blog  People, Places, Things. Just To refresh your memory, or if this is your first visit to my blog I'll give you a quick synopsis. Every Wednesday I will be writing a new blog post dedicated to people, places, or things. I'm also open to suggestions. If you want me to write about one of your favorite people, places or things I'd be more than happy! Just let me know :)

So, now that your memories have all been jogged, let's begin!

Portland Spirit

Portland Spirit

This past weekend my Aunt and Uncle visited Mom and I in  Portland, OR. It had been years since the last time they visited so we made sure to pack their trip full of sight seeing. While we did quite a bit of adventuring, the one excursion that really stuck with me was our night out on the Portland Spirit. Although I've lived in Portland my whole life, this was the first time I had been on the Portland Spirit and it is definitely something that I would encourage all current Portlanders and any visitors to do at least once!

Salmon Street Fountain
While there are a number of various cruises you can do, we decided to partake in the Dinner Cruise . Although I'm sure the cruise would be great no matter what the weather, we were fortunate enough to do the cruise on a beautiful, warm evening. We met on the Portland Waterfront; in front of the Salmon Street Fountain where the Portland Spirit was docked. Boarding the boat (ship?) at 6:30, we were lucky enough to get window seats!!!

From left to right: Mom, Me, Aunt, Uncle


At 7:00pm, the Spirit pulled away from the dock and we were off! The Spirit has various routes, but the one we were on goes South along the Willamette River. Once it reaches the end of Lake Oswego (a suburb of Portland) it turns around and comes back to dock at Salmon Street. All together the cruise takes about 2.5 hours. 

Captain Morgan Lime Bite & Strawberry Mojito
Anyway, it's not all about the cruise, but also about the dinner! The Portland Spirit has a full bar. You can really get anything you want, but for each cruise the bartender  creates a special drink. The special cocktail for the night was a Captain Morgan Lime Bite and  Strawberry Mojito, and let me tell you, it was delicious. It was so delicious that I treated myself to two! It was not that strong (probably why I could have two without even a buzz).

After our drinks it was time to order. The Spirit has an option of two appetizers. This night it was prawns and mushrooms. They also have a house salad and you can choose from four entrees, either Chicken, Beef, Seafood or Vegetarian. We decided to start off with appetizers, ordering the mushrooms. I ordered the Beef option since, what can I say, I'm a meat eater!

Mushroom Appetizer
I'm going to be honest, initially I wasn't thrilled with the appetizer options. I hate seafood and I probably like mushrooms even less, but my family wanted to order them anyway. I was blown away. The mushrooms were soooo  good! I don't know what kind they were or what sauce they were in, but I had quite a few! Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised that the Portland Spirit got me to not only enjoy, but eat multiple mushrooms.

Beef entree
Our entrees were great too! Sometimes when you do these cruises you're paying for the experience and not so much for the food, but in this case the food was just as good as the view! My beef option, which ended up being medallions with potatoes and vegetables was very good. It was some of the most tender and flavorful beef I have ever had! The service was exceptional as well. Our server and busser were very friendly and informative. It was great talking with them. Also, the servers sing! You can inform them of any special reason why you're there (anniversary, birthday etc.) and they will serenade you with piano
accompaniment. The cherry on top of this great experience were the beautiful views throughout our meal.


View of Waterfront from window

After dinner came my favorite part of any meal...dessert! They had an option of three different desserts; cheesecake, Snicker's pie and Bailey's Irish Creme pie. My Aunt and Mom chose the cheesecake, my Uncle chose the Snicker's pie and I chose the Bailey's Irish Creme pie. I had a bite of the cheesecake and the Snicker's pie and they were delicious, but I think I made the right choice. My Bailey's Irish Creme pie was to die for. I still find myself thinking about it, wishing I had a slice in my fridge! If you still haven't been  convinced to go on the Portland Spirit, just do it for the Bailey's Irish Creme pie...it will be the best decision of your life. I promise. 

Bailey's Irish Creme pie
Once we were pleasantly fat and happy after our dinner, we decided to go to the top deck and really take in the views and fresh air. By the time we were done eating we had reached Lake Oswego and the boat (ship?!) was turning around to head back. The beautiful evening was turning into a beautiful night and the sunset was gorgeous. Although it was a little chilly on the deck it wasn't unbearable (but I do recommend bringing a sweater, no matter how warm it is on land, it's always a little cooler on the deck of a ship!).

Me steering the ship. The Captain is behind me.

What's really cool about the Portland Spirit is that you have the chance to meet with the Captain and steer the boat (ship?!) yourself! With encouragement from my Uncle I took the helm! Even though the Captain is there the whole time watching and guiding you, it's still a little nerve racking since the lives of over 300 are in your hands (although the chances of anything happening are slim.) It's worth it though. And if you go on the Portland Spirit I recommend doing it, it's pretty fun. You also get a fun certificate signed by the Captain too!

Once my time steering the Portland Spirit was up it was time to walk around the deck and take in the views.


  
View of the deck. Notice the two women who dressed up for the occasion!


Lake Oswego Rail Road Bridge

View of Sellwood Bridge 

Helm of Portland Spirit

Portland City Skyline

Portland Waterfront

Hawthorne Bridge

All in all the night was one that I'll always remember. Having lived in Portland my whole life, it was cool seeing the city and river from a different perspective.  I found a short video that tells a little bit more about the cruise. You can watch it to see the Portland Spirit in action!



If the Portland Spirit seems like something you want to do you can visit their website www.portlandspirit.com. There you can find cruise information, make group or event reservations, look at the event calendar and many other things!

Hope that convinced all of you to check out the Portland Spirit! 


Until next time, this is Cassandra McCann for People, Places, Things. See you on the Sea!

4 comments: