Friday, October 21, 2011

Places: The Bakery Bar. Not Your Average Bakery

It's been awhile since I last blogged. Life keeps getting in the way. I've been meaning to write this post for awhile and now with a few free moments, I suppose now is the time to do it! To preface this blog, I first should let you know that I'm a coffee shop junkie. While I'm a BIG fan of Starbucks,  I'm an even bigger fan of independent coffee shops. However, just because a coffee shop is independently owned doesn't mean I'm going to love it. Being from Portland, OR , I've grown up in a city with a coffee shop on almost every corner. I try to go to as many as I can, but there are a number that I keep coming back to. In a city with so many coffee shops, in order to stay in business, these companies need to not only have great coffee and pastries, but they must have a unique and welcoming atmosphere as well as a reasonable price. This post is about one such coffee shop that really is the total package.

Bakery Bar

Every Sunday my Mom and I go out for coffee. We try and switch it up every week, but we definitely have a few favorite spots. A couple weeks ago I asked her if she could only go to one coffee shop the rest of her life which one would she pick. Without hesitation she said the Bakery Bar and I couldn't agree more. This place really has it all! 

Patio and entrance to Bakery Bar


For my Mom, what really makes or breaks a coffee shop is the quality of their coffee. With so many good places to choose from, if the coffee isn't up to par it just isn't worth going back. Fortunately Bakery Bar caters to the quality coffee lover; serving renowned Stumptown coffee and espresso beans. The coffee is brewed fresh daily so you can always count on getting a hot cup of coffee without grounds or any bitter taste. They also proudly serve Dragonfly Chai. I'm a big chai lover, but sometimes chai's can be two sweet, or two bland. Dragonfly Chai is really the all star of chai, so when I get one at the Bakery Bar I know the chai I'm getting is going to be delicious. 
For me--having the sweet tooth that I do--what's important to me are the pastries. Bakery Bar, as you can tell by the name, doesn't cut corners when it comes to serving scrumptious pastries and breads. I'm not a big scone person, I find them to be rather dry and flavorless, but the scones at the Bakery Bar are to die for. They aren't your typical bland scone. Some of my personal and delicious favorites are the apple-bacon scone,  strawberry-lime scone and chocolate-cardamon scone. They also have a variety of amazing scone flavors for vegans as well! My dad's personal favorite pastry is the blueberry loaf with cream cheese frosting. Unlike many loafs, this one is moist, flavorful, sweet but not too sweet. In other words, just like everything that the Bakery Bar makes, it's just right! 



They also serve breakfast and lunch if your hunger calls for more than just a pastry. I've only had two items off the menu so far, but so far those two items were enough for me to want to come back and try more things.  I can vouch for the Veggie Scramble which consists of 3 eggs, leeks, mushrooms, goat cheese, garlic, basil and red peppers. Delicious. I can also vouch for the brioche French Toast made with seasonal toppings. When I went Strawberries were in season so my french toast was smothered in giant, juicy, fresh strawberries. 

However, what really seals the deal is the comfortable ambiance. A combination of rustic and industrial, the vibe when you walk in is welcoming, warm, and creative. One can come here alone to read, with a group of friends, for a meeting, any one is welcome and that's what makes this place so unique. 

Next time you're in the Portland area, be sure to stop by the Bakery Bar located at 2935 NE Glisan St. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment